Thursday, September 12, 2013

Week #8

Week #2 in Obligado, Paraguay

September 9, 2013

P-day (Monday) we waited & waited to hear from Elder Thayn. It wasn't until 5pm that he finally emailed. He had been at Zone Conference in Encarnacíon, Paraguay and wasn't sure he'd be able to make it back in time to email. Yay, he was able to make it back in time!!!


First Baptism!

Email

Well as a lot of you guys know I've been having a really hard time here. I think it's just because it´s such a big culture shock and the language of course. It´s hard cause since my companion only knows Spanish  and I can´t really communicate with him that well.  Because of that, I feel so lonely and whenever we have down time I have nothing else to do except think about home and how much I wish I were there. Anyways, I hope everything will get better soon. 
So totally on a different subject guess what? 2 days ago on Saturday I got my first baptism! And I was actually able to baptize her. I had the words memorized but I just needed help with pronouncing her name right. Her first name was Yolanda and she was 13 years old. It was such a neat experience to baptize her. The baptismal font is basically a plastic tub, haha. The water felt great though!
Saturday was the best day here so far, not just because of the baptism but also because our district leaders came down for the baptism and one of them speaks English. So I was able to talk to him for a long time. They actually slept over at our apartment on Saturday night and left early Sunday morning for church. Ah I just wish I had someone to talk to and help me feel better. I mean Elder Aguinaga is a great missionary I just can´t really communicate with him. Anyways its hard to remember all that happened earlier this week. We just have been tracting around Obligado, we haven´t had any luck with new investigators this week so that´s too bad. We are just both trying to get used to the area since both of us are new here. The members are really great, I mean as much as I can understand. haha. Anyways yesterday was church and I had the opportunity to bless the water, so that was really cool. Today we had a zone meeting in Encarnacion. It was awesome because I was able to speak in English and see Elder Averett again! Since he's in my zone. But we were only together for like 3 hours. Well hopefully tomorrow I will start feeling better. I love you all at home and miss you all so much. Have a good week!

Excerpt from my email answering some questions I had asked: 

So yes we're on foot and we actually don't have to walk too far. Like probably 7 miles throughout the day. The food is pretty good, its actually a lot of noodles and rice and meat and stuff. I ate a chicken heart and that was pretty gross just really bloody and it had a weird texture. So that was the crazy food I have eaten so far. And we have one a/c in our room but no heater, it's been hot so we don't need it. Yes we have gone shopping but no they don't have top ramen. Haha I just buy sandwich stuff. I'm starting to get used to the money and stuff. (Laundry) No we have this sister in the branch do it. We pay her 300 mil a month to do our laundry and she provides lunch everyday.

Pictures



A member's home in Obligado


Hermana Presentacion's home, she does our laundry and we eat lunch here every day


My First Baptism
Yolanda and Me by the baptismal font


Elder Alguinaga, Yolanda, me


Elder Alguinaga, Yolanda, district leaders & me


Zone Conference in Encarnacíon, Paraguay
Elder Averett, Sister Wilde & me


 "NOTICE: These email messages and pictures are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited."








No comments:

Post a Comment