Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Week #7

September 1, 2013

Elder Thayn's mission president said Monday was his...


so...we waited...and waited...to hear from him. 

It was the first time we've heard from Elder Thayn since he left the USA. He was able to find a place to use the internet and email. 

Email 

Wow a lot has happened over the last week and a couple of days! So I will try to get everything in. So we left the MTC at 6 in the morning on Tuesday the 27th. We took the Frontrunner, then tracks to the airport. Our plane left at 12:30 PM so we were all able to call home which was awesome! We took off from SLC to Dallas, Miami, then finally Asunción, Paraguay. That last flight was super long but I was able to get some sleep which was good. 
Once we arrived in Paraguay we had some complications so we ended up staying at the airport for like an extra 3 hours until it got all sorted out. After the airport we did some paperwork then we were actually able to go see the Asunción Temple which was sweet! 
We had to take a 6 hour bus ride to Encarnación which is across the border from Posadas. We spent the night at the mission home but we didn't arrive there until 1 in the morning so it was a very long day. 
The next day we were able to meet all of our new companions. My companion's name is Elder Aguinaga and he's from Peru. He's has been out for almost a year. And so yeah, he only knows Spanish.... haha so that's has been quite a challenge. That night we got to our apartment and let me say it's way different. I'm just happy it's winter still or else I guess there would be tons of cockroaches! 
Anyways the last couple of days we have been talking and getting to know the members. We taught one lesson to Yolanda who is getting baptized this Saturday so that's pretty sweet! 
Yesterday we were able to go to church. I think there were 27 members there. Oh and the Branch President had me bare my testimony so that was fun. Haha. I think everyone understood it. 
It's kind of funny because everyone has cell phones and TVs here and even smart phones but a lot of them have dirt floors in their homes or no indoor plumbing. Seeing all the people here and what they have makes me feel really grateful for America and all the stuff we have at home. Anyways that's all I have for now! I love all you guys so much! 
I asked Elder Thayn what he did for his p-day, like did he go grocery shopping, etc...his answer:
We went to a members house for lunch. We actually haven't gotten any money on our cards yet because I guess there's a problem, so we literally have no idea what we're going to eat each meal. Lucky I have snacks from the MTC still. 


Pictures 

Elder Thayn uploaded a total of 26 pictures using a different method other then emailing. I will just post a few. Unfortunately he did not use the caption on the pictures to let us know what it is/where it is/who it is so I'll do my best to figure them out, some are easy.



Zac at the Asunción, Paraguay Temple



Bus drive to Mission home



Elder Thayn eating at a restaurant in Paraguay (I see the Paraguay flag) with all the new missionaries before going to Mission home in Posadas, Argentina



Elder Thayn on a bus drive to Obligado, Parguay with  his new companion (Elder Aguinaga), maybe?



Elder Thayn in his raincoat (he mention it had been raining)


New apartment pictures


 "NOTICE: These email messages and pictures are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited."






3 comments:

  1. We are happy to have found Elder Thayn's blog and read about how another missionary is doing. Our son, Elder Ben Roberts, was one of Zac's roomates in the MTC. (That is Ben on the bus next to Zac.) Ben had nice things to say about your son. Ben is not too far from Zac, but just into Paraguay in Ciudad del Estes. Ben has a blog too if you'd like to check it out-there are some pictures with Zac in them, but they are mostly the same ones you have. Ben's blog is Benrobertsmission.blogspot.com. We wish your son all the best, he seems like a great young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so exciting to hear from one of Zac's roommates' family. I know your son, I believe Zac said he was from Maine. It was fun reading Ben's blog and seeing the similarities. I had wondered where all his other MTC companions were sent. Have you found others?

      Zac is our first missionary and we are so excited for him, although I can't imagine being in a country with a companion you hardly understand.

      I looked at the map to compare cities and it looks like Ben had a longer drive to get to his city and it's much much larger then where Zac is located.

      Please say hi to Elder Roberts for me and tell him I appreciated the words (I don't know if he remembers, but I do) he told me (we have actually met, long story) and also tell him to keep up the good work. Thanks for writing! Eva

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the message. Are you sure you have met Ben? I will be sure to mention it, I am about to write to him now through his lds account. Is that how you are corresponding with Zac? I am not sure about sending things through the mail, let me know if you try it out. :] I have seen a couple of other blogs for missionaries who are about to go out, or who are now in the MTC, but none that are in the Posadas mission now.

    Ben is our first missionary too, we have four children and he is the oldest. We live in Maryland. Ben came from a school of 1,300 students where he was one of four LDS students. The other two priests in our ward have not served missions yet, but hopefully will decide to do so. We are grateful for his strength and commitment to serve. It has been an experience for his friends to hear about what he is doing, something they had never really heard of kids their age doing.

    I feel for our sons trying to learn Spanish, and not being able to understand what is going on around them. It looks like they both have great attitudes, which I think is half the battle. My husband served in Columbia, so he can relate. He keeps telling me the language will come.

    Keep in touch,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete